Saturday, June 21, 2008

Entering the Cornhusker State - Fairbury, NE (Day 26)

Once upon a time, in the little town of Frankfort, Kansas, 25 courageous kids with their shiny bikes and their 3 sidekicks (the van drivers) set out again on a new 68 miles journey to Fairbury, NEBRASKA (: ...

The morning began with a delicious breakfast prepared by the Annunciation Catholic Church and was followed by the traditional group ride dedication. During our dedications, while others shared their stories, I remained silent with mine. Now, I have the pleasure of sharing it with you all. For my ride, I dedicated it to Sandy, my former college mentor, friend, and breast cancer survivor.

Today, for the first time, I rode with just the boys: Jesse, Tom, and Ben. I was a bit concerned in the beginning that I wouldn't be able to keep up with their pace but after the first water stop, I felt more comfortable riding with them. The first half of the ride was the last of scenic Kansas and its ups-and-downs on hills; and unfortunately, the sunshine. During the second half, we entered beautiful Nebraska but lightning, thunder, and heavy rain ended our ride. Luckily, we were able to take shelter under a friendly farmer's shed until we were able to be shuttled to our next host, the Grace Lutheran Church in Fairbury. Thank you to our hosts, Jack and Janice, for arranging transportation for us in the rain, for our showers, and our amazing community dinner. Sorry for the slight mistake on the back of our tee-shirts that says we're in Kansas instead of Nebraska!

I'm looking forward to exploring more of Nebraska tomorrow! Good night and sweet dreams! And don't worry, we're in super safe hands! And oh yeah, use that sunscreen!

Don't let the bed bugs bite,
Alison Zhao

No comments: