Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Our First Century - Fayette, OH (Day 9)

This morning was a journey down memory lane to early middle school mornings. There was the 6 am wake up and getting dressed in a zombie like trance. We journeyed down to the cafeteria and were met by the one thing that truly motivates the stumbling out of bed: food. As usual there was the slew of cereal selections but today our wonderful hosts at Jackson Middle School provided us with something special. At first I thought we were being served corn-dogs, but I soon found out what was before my eyes (and quickly on my plate) were pancakes wrapped around a breakfast sausage. As I consumed this pancake on a stick I talked with the middle schoolers about the trials and tribulations of finals. One never stops disliking tests.


Right before we departed a girl timidly approached me with a request. She hoped I would dedicate my ride to TJ and Joy. I gladly agreed for although I will never meet these individuals they are obviously greatly loved. They were in my thoughts as I tackled this 98.8 mile day.


98.8 miles on the flattest day of the trip provide plenty of time to ponder tough questions such as whether or not the chicken or egg came first. I concluded that the egg did, but I am willing to still debate the issue on another long cycling day. Although, the day was obviously long I felt it was one of the best. Perhaps I am glutton for drudgery, but honestly my day was a blast. There were intense games of 'I Spy' and 'Categories,' the consuming of delicious local ice cream guilt-free (I did after all cycle all day) and the best part, the gracious welcoming faces at Fayette Christian Church.


At the end of the day it is not about the aching legs that have been repeatedly peddling all day, but about the people we meet who welcome us with smiles, laughter, delicious dinners and showers. Though I have to admit hitting a runner's like high around 90 miles did help.
Endorphines are amazing.

-Judy Penati

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For Dan: great job with the posts! Please can you upload pics too? Also, I posted my (few) pics on facebook, so people can check those out (and I think I friended everyone except Hubert and Jess, who weren't on there as far as I could tell...).