Saturday, June 21, 2008

Look Ma! No Hands! - Arapahoe, NE (Day 28)


Today was a very enjoyable short day. The 60 miles from Franklin, NE to Arapahoe, NE was beautiful and scenic. The rolling hills, wide open spaces, and sparse traffic were a good place for a lot of the riders to get more comfortable with their riding skills. While not admiring the countryside, many riders practiced riding with no hands and by the end of the day were able to pat their heads, rub their stomachs, and ride their bikes at the same time.

We arrived at the First Methodist Church early in the afternoon and were promptly lead into a small holding room where we were put up for adoption. For the first time this trip, various community members in Arapahoe graciously opened up their homes and provided small groups of riders with homestays. As expected, the lovely ladies were the first to find a new home for the night, while the smelly boys were left to grunt and mutter.

In an incredible string of events, a man and woman hiking across the country happened to knock on the door of one of the homestays and later found themselves at our dinner table. The pair are hiking 4,834 miles from Delaware to California. They hike under the name Hugs for Humanity and hope to give one million hugs and raise one million dollars for the Alzheimer's Association and Neurofibromatosis Inc. You can see read more about their trip at www.hugsforhumanity.com

-Taylor Almond

2 comments:

Unknown said...

THAT'S SO COOOOOL!!! I do research on NF-1, and we recently had some (mini) publicity events for NF research (May is NF awareness month). I will be sure to pass on hugsforhumanity.com to all of my fellow lab-mates, to spread the word about what those hikers are doing. Also, Taylor, you're quite fast, which is why I had you in mind for the race car tattoos. :)

Bailey said...

Even before I saw the byline, I thought the writing seemed familiar.

I hope you had an awesome time getting to see everyone out in Denver. Sorry I couldn't make it, but I've got to save my coins for my own personal expedition sometime this fall.

Miss you, bud. Keep those legs pumping and I'll see you soon