Monday, June 9, 2008

Homecoming for Hubert - Chicago, IL (Day 12-13)

Today's ride was particularly significant for me because it was a ride into my hometown, Chicago. After two weeks of transient living; changing beds, meals, showers, etc., the idea of something constant and familiar sounded refreshing.

The morning began with a breakfast in the top floor of a century old episcopal church in Michigan City, IN. After breakfast, we packed our bags and circled up to begin our ride into Chicago. The ride today was different than most days in that we rode together as an entire team rather than in smaller groups. We also used primarily bike trails rather than streets. Our ride started out through Michigan City's famed Indiana Dunes National Seashore. The forested bike path leading into the dunes provided us with an incredible view of the lakeshore and the five story high sand dunes that line the lake side. It reminded me of how my family took trips out there every summer when I was a child.

Our ride into the city also brought back a lot of nostalgic feelings. As a former resident of the south side of Chicago, we rode through the diverse neighborhoods that make up south Chicago. The weather was incredibly hot and humid, our arms and legs were covered with white cotton-like seeds that were blowing through the air like snow. In spite of these conditions, spirits were high as the residents of Chicago began to root us on, honking in their cars and cheering on the sidewalks. We eventually reached a point in the road where the path to Chicago seemed uncertain. Because of my expertise of the city, I was asked to lead the group toward the right path. With chants of “Hubie!” raining down, I navigated my bike to the left and we were on the lakeshore bike path headed towards the Loop. I'd like to think that it was my expertise of the city that saved the day, but in reality, it was really my ability to turn left that made everything possible.

As we traversed toward the increasingly visible skyline along the lake, our group stopped a number of times to take pictures. I took a picture of my old dormitory and texted it to my freshman year roommate. This leg ended on Chicago's West side on the University of Illinois-Chicago campus where we were staying for the night. Being home was a much needed break, but ultimately it is just a short stop on our journey across the country.
-Hubert Lee

No comments: